Questions For You
To find the right Property Manager for you, ask these important questions:
Just as you wouldn’t buy an investment property without doing your research, you shouldn’t engage the first Property Manager you speak to. And you’re not obliged to use the agency that just sold you the property. Allow yourself sufficient time to ask each of the Property Manager candidates that you are ‘interviewing’, these questions, not only to find if they’re up to the job, but also to determine if you think that you can have a good working relationship with them in the months (and years) ahead. Obviously, we’d love you to include Stanley Samuels on the shortlist of candidates to be interviewed…
1. How long have you been a Property Manager?
2. Is your agency’s main focus Property Management?
3. What is the experience level of the Property Managers?
4. What resources has the agency allocated to leasing properties?
5. Will interested parties be accompanied by agency staff on inspections?
6. How will my property be marketed?
7. Are all applicants required to complete a detailed application form?
8. How much information is collected and how is it verified?
9. Are potential applicants followed up after inspections?
10. Does the agency use one or two Defaulting Tenant Databases?
11. Is a Rental Analysis Report provided for the property?
12. Can the agency provide examples of their condition reports?
13. How does the agency keep staff up to date with legislation?
14. Does the agency provide a single point of contact?
15. Can the agency provide a number of references from satisfied clients?
16. What staff back up is in place when my Property Manager is on leave?
17. Are the tradesmen (used by the agency) independent contractors?
18. Are the tradesmen fully insured?
19. Do the tradesmen provide a guarantee on their work?
20. Does the agent receive any benefits from the tradesmen?
21. Does the agency have systems in place to review rents annually?
22. Does the agency have systems in place to renew all leases by expiry?
23. Has the agency ever been reported to Consumer & Business Services?
24. Has the agency ever been reported to the disciplinary committee of REISA?
25. Is the agency a member of the REISA?
26. Is the agency a member of Leading Property Managers of Australia?